Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Tips for Beginner's: Part 1 the machine

Recently I was asked to give advise to a friend on what to look for in a sewing machine for someone looking to dabble in quilting.  Instead of just doing a quick response on Facebook I decided I would post a blog on it.
It was perfect timing since I am helping a friend make a quilt at her house with her brand new sewing machine.
My friend Meredith (who I'm helping with the quilt) has a mommy that is quite special... Since Meredith is known for her baking, her mom got her a computerized sewing machine........... Monday morning Meredith took her machine out of the box for the first time in 10 months. She figured out how to plug it in on her own and that was it. I sat down and explained all the parts, showed her how to make a bobbin and thread the machine. Then it was time to start working on the quilt. 
There is no foot that was 1/4" foot so I began looking for the 1/4" mark on the plate. Finally found it. It was even smaller than 1/4"! I lined the fabric up to the mark and the mark disappeared. Out came the scotch tape and sharpie. Line extend! 
Next was the sewing. The needle is automatically in the far right position, I'm not used to that so it took me a while to get used to it but I did, I don't like it though. Next problem I have with her new fancy machine is the automatic stop in the down position, I turned that feature off because the bobbin kept catching (we were naughty and using stock thread).
With everything so fancy you would assume that the machine would run smoothly, it doesn't. I don't know why but it doesn't seem to sew a straight line very well. It is almost like the needle jumps and curves if that makes since. Well here it kinda goes like this ________-----_____----___ I had had 6 cups of coffee that morning so I know it wasn't me.




Now things I like about the machine...
There is a table that attaches to the machine that would come in handy doing quilting and clothes making. There is also a switch to adjust the stitch speed. Great for newbies and pros.




Ok now please ignore how dirty my machine looks. It is 13 years old and well loved... My machine has a 1/4" wide foot so I don't need the 1/4" line on the plate, but you will notice that my plate measurement lines extend in front of the foot so they can be read before the material goes under. I have the tape on there for lining up the points on triangles.
My needle position is right there in front of you so you never forget what position it is in when you begin your sewing...
Ok there are my "reviews" of new vs old machines.
When it comes to buying a "new" machine keep the location of the measurement lines in your first thoughts. Next if you are only quilting, you don't need 360 different stitches you just need a straight stitch. Also check to see how easy it will be to get replacement bobbins, I have 4 threaded at all times with different colors, when I'm working on a project I also have 4 of that color pre-made so I don't have to stop and rethread the needle. New and old machines alike will skip stitches and stuff, just adjust your top tension until you have it right. Now for the biggest tip I have ever received... Years ago I bought my first sewing machine it was a lovely Brother machine that did everything I needed and best of all it cost me $89.00! About a year later in the middle of sewing 5 Halloween costumes it died. I took it to my local sewing machine repair shop. That afternoon they called me in. To repair it would cost $99 as a plastic internal piece that commonly brakes on those machines, broke. The repairman told me that those machines were crud, They are all plastic which is great for lugging it around, but those inexpensive machines are not meant to last invest in a good heavy metal machine. I cried and looked at new machines, I found my lovely Riccar on sale for $300, but it was the display model and they gave it to me for $250. Like I said earlier this was 13 years ago. I take it all apart yearly to clean and oil it. It may be ugly and only have 15 stitches (4 are the parts to a button hole) but it has made about 40 quilts and helped win lots of blue ribbons...

Part 2 tools of the trade, coming soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment