Thursday, November 21, 2013

Broken Star: The Final Steps...

I know again it's been a long time... But I have just been so busy with quilts!
Let's get back to the beautiful Broken Star.

After the piecing is complete and you have used your favorite technique for the basting is the quilting... I chose to match all the quilting thread with the fabric.
Using the matching thread I handquilted across the center of each diamond. Yes I quilted across each of the 1,568 diamonds... You can mark the diamond pieces if you wish, but it is just straight lines across a small area so it isn't necessary.

For the background areas I searched and searched until I found the perfect quilting design.
I marked all the background pieces before the quilting began, but it rubbed off on some of the blocks. Easy enough to remark with a chalk pencil though.
 The quilt ended up being king size and I have a queen sized bed, but it still worked for the pictures...



Of course you can't do all that work and not enter the quilt in the county fair... 
It did get 1st place, best of the bed size quilts went to a lady who hand pieced a similar quilt in blues...

No comments:

Post a Comment